Located in the heart of rural Alberta, and 50 minutes east of Edmonton just off the Yellowhead Highway (Highway 16), you’ll find the Town of Vegreville (www.vegreville.com). With a population of just over 5,800, and a trade area population exceeding 41,000, the Town enjoys progressive growth, innovative development, and supports a diverse economy. Vegreville is a community open for business with a great selection of commercial, industrial, and residential lots and properties for sale.
Under the direction of the Infrastructure, Planning & Development Director, the Public Works Manager is responsible for the planning, organizing and directing of Public Works programs such as roads, sanitary landfill operations, water distribution and waste water collection repair and maintenance. He/she will directly supervise a Public Works Foreman and a shared Public Works/Utility Clerk, and indirectly oversee a Public Works Lead Hand, 10 equipment operators, a labourer and a seasonal labourer. The department portfolio also includes the operation of the Cemetery, Regional Airport, and the Town’s Solid Waste Collection Program.
Key Responsibilities & Functions Overview:
- Develop policies, procedures and programs for accomplishing approved objectives of the Public Works department, ensuring coordination of activities with those of other departments.
- Ensure the development and implementation of an effective Municipal Infrastructure Maintenance Management System, including the development of methods, standards, scheduling techniques, and reporting systems.
- At the discretion of the Director, assist in the preparation of specifications and plans, calling of tenders and inspection and/or supervision of construction, maintenance and demolition work being done by outside contractors.
- Monitor the construction, repair and maintenance of municipal services.
- Make sure that the landfill is operating efficiently.
- Develop a Departmental Budget and submit it for discussion with the Infrastructure Planning, & Development Director, and supervise expenditures for the department within the approved budget.
- Ensure qualified staff are in place and annual performance evaluations are completed.
- Ensure the development and implementation of personnel training programs as required. Fully support and promote the Town of Vegreville Safety Program.
- Make appropriate recommendations regarding all aspects of your department to the Director.
- Ensure that all Occupational Health & Safety Regulations are enforced.
- Attend Council and Committee Meetings as necessary and liaise with special technical committees, organizations and the public at large. Act as a technical advisor for specialized projects.
- Perform other Town related work as required.
Skills & Attributes Overview:
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following competencies and behaviours in order to successfully meet the requirements of the position:
- Proven ability to communicate, and work effectively with, people from all walks of life and backgrounds including: staff, internal and external stakeholders, as well as the general public.
- Solid leadership skills with the capability to lead, inspire, motivate, and mentor staff.
- Always presents him/herself in a professional manner and represents the Town in a positive light in every action/decision.
- Ability to deliver top-notch customer service.
- A thorough understanding of the budgeting process.
- The ability to deal effectively with high pressure and challenging situations in a timely manner.
- Exhibit sound judgment and discretion when responding to inquiries regarding classified and confidential information.
Education & Experience Overview:
The successful candidate will possess the following, or an acceptable combination:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or in a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Proven municipal experience in water and sewer installation and maintenance, as well as road construction and maintenance.
- Prior landfill experience coupled with certification as an Alberta Landfill and Composting Facility Operator is considered an asset.
- Physically capable of performing assigned duties (a Medical may be required).
- Familiarity with government and regulatory legislation.
- A valid Class 5 Alberta Operator’s License, First Aid, and CPR Certificates.
- A solid working knowledge of Safety Standards and Practices, as well as the ability and desire to implement and enforce them.
A competitive compensation package including base salary, a benefits package, and LAPP will be provided. Details will be discussed in further conversations.
For Further Information Please Contact:
DCG Executive Search Services Ltd.