Town of Lamont, AB
Located 45 minutes east of Edmonton on Highway 15, the Town of Lamont was described by settlers as “the nicest open country a person could wish for”.
This progressive, growing community of nearly 1,800 residents provides relaxed country living with all the amenities of a larger centre. Lamont has a full range of services including a nationally top-rated hospital, a full-service senior’s lodge, a pre-kindergarten to grade 12 public school, tourist accommodations, fine dining, as well as a full assortment of shopping needs to ensure your stay is a pleasant one.
For additional information, please visit our website at www.lamont.ca and begin to experience city living - country style as our motto states.
Reports to: Mayor & Town Council
Direct Reports: Deputy CAO
Director of Operations & Infrastructure
Finance Officer (Contract)
Planning & Development Officer (Contract)
Municipal Enforcement (Contract)
Total Staff: 14 total FT staff, not including seasonal
Budget: Operating - $4.2M / Capital - $1M
RESPONSIBILITY & FUNCTIONS OVERVIEW
The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is the administrative head of the municipality responsible for implementing the strategic direction as set out by Council, and coordinating the planning of departmental priorities and programs which align with corporate goals and objectives. Central to this role is the establishment of effective relationships and communication between administration, Council, and the public.
Leadership & Management:
- Develop and uphold an effective organization structure for the staff that reflects operational needs, and that is directed towards accomplishing the objectives as set by Council.
- Support the Mayor and Council in determining policy by providing objective advice, clearly articulated alternatives, current and relevant background research, ongoing counsel, and the presentation of information from staff recommendations, community groups, and citizens.
- Ensure that Council receives such information and necessary reports to be able to make effective policy decisions. Guarantee effective oversight of all information being presented to Council in accordance with the standards and policies of the Municipal Government Act.
Communication & Public Relations:
- Ensure that Town staff are committed to providing the highest level of service to the public.
- Promote effective and transparent communication among Council, employees and the general public.
- Attend community events as required, which may include evenings and/or weekends.
- Deliver exceptional customer service to both internal and external stakeholders and ensure it is a priority.
- Continue to work closely with Council and Alberta HUB (Regional Economic Development Alliance for NE Alberta) to implement an economic development focus to promote local businesses and attract new businesses to the Town of Lamont.
- Promote an “open for business” mindset, ensure that the Town is well-prepared for economic development inquiries, and always strive for new and innovative ways of doing things.
Human Resource Management:
- Provide leadership and support to the employees of the Municipality in order to capitalize on the full potential of these critical resources. In doing so, stimulate, motivate, guide, and direct all individuals to contribute fully to the realization of the Town’s strategic and operational objectives.
- Work collaboratively with the Finance Officer to ensure appropriate financial and administrative systems are in place that maximize the effectiveness of resource utilization within the objectives, policies, and budgets established by Council.
- Monitor and control municipal spending within the budgets set by Council.
- Support the Mayor and Council in the formulation and updating of a Strategic Plan for the Town. This plan will chart a future, identify critical issues, and set annual objectives and strategies.
- Create a dynamic climate that results in the continual search for new and more effective approaches to fulfilling the Town’s mandate.
Other Duties as Required:
- Participate in the Town’s safety and disaster preparedness programs.
- Ensure the implementation of a Health & Safety Program and policy requirements including maintaining a safe and secure workplace environment.
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES OVERVIEW
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following competencies and behaviours in order to successfully meet the requirements of the position: