Employer: RM of Edenwold No. 158
Location: Emerald Park, SK
Industry: Municipal Government
RM OF EDENWOLD NO. 158, SK
The Rural Municipality of Edenwold No. 158 is a large municipality located directly east of the City of Regina. It is home to nearly 5,000 residents and over 200 businesses. Emerald Park and the Great Plains Industrial Park form part of the RM along with over 20 other residential and commercial subdivisions. There are four major highways that intersect in the municipality including the No. 1 Highway and a segment of the new Regina Bypass. The RM of Edenwold is home to a wide range of land uses associated with both rural and urban environments, and offers residents all the amenities and recreational options within its boundaries. Please visit our website at www.rmedenwold.ca for more information.
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer (COO)
Direct Reports: Municipal Planner II
Municipal Planner I
Regional Planner/Economic Development/Policy Analyst
Total Staff: 3 FT Staff and 1 PT Staff Member
RESPONSIBILITIES, ACCOUNTABILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS OVERVIEW
The Manager of Planning & Development is responsible for land-use planning, policy and regulations, development approvals, land development, the administration of municipal lands, and all land transactions. The Manager is responsive to all stakeholders including Council, citizens, staff members, developers, landowners, and other interested parties. The Manager oversees the efficient management of the Planning and Development department’s capital and operating budget, as well as all departmental staff.
The successful applicant will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Providing leadership and guidance to staff in all matters relating to planning and land management.
- Supporting internal departments on strategic files such as Strategic Planning, municipal restructuring, and economic development.
- Working collaboratively with internal RM departments and staff to gather information necessary for comprehensive review and consideration of planning applications.
- Acting as a liaison between internal departments, builders and developers, community stakeholder groups, and the contracted building inspection agency.
- Assessing and prioritizing community planning needs and developing measurable goals, objectives, and KPI’s for the department.
- Participating on the senior leadership team to assist the CAO in implementing policies, procedures, and the decisions of Council as they pertain to planning and development practices for the RM.
- Assisting in guiding Council in the development of planning-related strategy, and forming a vision for long-range development.
- Undertaking in-depth research and preparing written reports and presentations for Council, Committees of Council and external stakeholders on issues and topics related to planning and development in the area.
- Preparing and presenting requests for decisions regarding planning and development proposals to Council and Committees of Council.
- Developing, recommending, and managing the annual capital and operating budget for the department.
- Overseeing all planning, development, and subdivision processes and facilitating both new and current major projects within the RM.
- Managing the work of planning and development staff in the review and processing of:
- all land use and development applications,
- the development of new or updated municipal plans and planning bylaws,
- and the implementation of planning projects and policies, while ensuring all work observes approved municipal policies, identified timelines, budgets, and deliverables, as well as good planning practices.
- Ensuring the preparation, adoption, and enforcement of the Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaws.
- Managing land use planning and land administration activities carried out by the RM including subdivision and plan review.
- Preparing servicing, development, easement and other agreements.
- Reviewing appeals of decisions on permits, subdivisions, agreements, variances, etc., and representing the municipality through appeal processes.
- Delivering top-notch customer service in a positive and informative way to both internal and external stakeholders and ensure it is a key priority.
- Coordinating prompt and proper handling of all ratepayer requests, enquiries, and complaints.
- Responding to public inquires in a prompt fashion.
- Liaising and collaborating with other organizations and levels of government, including federal and provincial government agencies, local governments, community associations, and community groups.
- Attending and presenting items with recommendations to the Municipal Planning Commission, Subdivision and Development Appeal Board hearings, Council meetings, and other meetings as required.
- Conducting public hearings and public consultations to engage stakeholders and the public in the planning and development processes.
- Managing the development of municipal land including overseeing transactions relating to the pricing, disposal and/or leasing of municipal land.
- Maintaining professional affiliations and demonstrating a comprehensive current knowledge of applicable legislation, new trends and literature.
- Performing other related duties as required.
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES OVERVIEW
The Manager of Planning & Development will demonstrate the following to be successful:
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to oversee the work of professional and technical staff, as well as contractors.
- Experience supervising, coordinating and conducting performance evaluations in a respectful and supportive manner.
- The capacity to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team. Supports a team approach and leads by example.
- Ability to provide guidance, support, and mentoring of staff for succession planning purposes.
- Excellent project management skills, particularly within complex, high profile, large-scale, or time-sensitive projects.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize work, and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior organizational, communication (written and verbal), and report-writing skills.
- A proven capability to deal with the public in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with presence and energy, coupled with the ability to foster strong relationships with staff members, elected officials, the community, and key stakeholders.
- Thorough understanding of documents and procedures regarding development permits, zoning enforcement, land administration and long-range planning.
- Proven capacity to resolve complex challenges with tact and accuracy and with a high degree of independence.
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Experience with Adobe suite products (InDesign, Photoshop) would be considered an asset.
- Experience with GIS systems.
- Keen interest in planning issues as they relate to both rural and urban environments, and the willingness to stay current on emerging trends within the planning environment from a networking and educational perspective.
- Capacity to facilitate, negotiate, and mediate with developers and public consultation groups and work towards a win-win scenario.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE OVERVIEW
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A post-secondary degree in Planning, or in a closely related field such as Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Urban Studies, Environmental Planning or Sustainability. A Master’s Degree would be considered an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership experience in a senior planning position, along with experience in a municipal setting would be considered a strength.
- Full membership, or eligibility for membership, in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) and the Saskatchewan Professional Planners Institute (SPPI), or another related PTIA (Provincial or Territorial Institute of Association).
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package are available. Specifics will be discussed in a personal interview.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT
DCG Executive Search Services Ltd.
Phone: (780) 758-9796
E-Mail: [email protected]