Employer: Municipality of Red Lake, ON
Location: Red Lake, ON
Industry: Municipal Government
MUNICIPALITY OF RED LAKE, ON
The Municipality of Red Lake is a progressive community strategically located within the heart of sunset country and the world-renowned Boreal Forest. As a community, the Municipality is characterized by our northern hospitality and our entrepreneurial spirit.
With a population of 4,500, the Municipality of Red Lake is comprised of six smaller communities (Balmertown, Cochenour, Madsen, McKenzie Island, Red Lake, and Starratt-Olsen) and offers its residents all the amenities that you would expect, including a state-of-the-art medical centre, hospital, a heritage/cultural centre (www.redlakemuseum.com), and airport.
In addition, the Municipality is home to an abundance of outdoor parks and recreational options (i.e. lakes, beaches, an 18-hole golf course, and one of the best ecotourism sites in the world….the Pimachiowin Aki (The Land That gives Life) UNESCO World Heritage Site (www.pimaki.ca) designated for its cultural and natural significance).
The Municipality is the beneficiary of extensive, abundant natural resources, and the home to one of the richest gold camps in the world. This has created a community that we want to ensure can last; a community that is less reliant on one industry, that provides everything our citizens require to support a uniquely rich quality of life, and that ensures the beauty and abundance of the area continues to be available for future generations.
Please visit our website at www.redlake.ca for further information.
Reports to: Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
Direct Report: Deputy Treasurer
Indirect Reports: Accounts Payable Clerk
Accounts Receivable Clerk
Total Staff: 4 FT Staff
Budget: Operating: $16M
RESPONSIBILITIES, ACCOUNTABILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS OVERVIEW
Reporting directly to the CAO, the Treasurer is responsible for the overall management of the financial affairs for the Municipality. As an integral member of the senior leadership team (consisting of the CAO, Treasurer, and Municipal Clerk), the Treasurer will be actively engaged in the development of various policies, initiatives, and strategic investments that enhance the organizational well-being of the Municipality and quality of life in Red Lake.
The position is accountable for performing the statutory duties of the Treasurer for the Municipality of Red Lake, and for providing advice on fiscal, financial, and accounting matters to the CAO and Council on all statutory and custodial matters affecting the finances of the Municipality.
The Treasurer will provide sound management of the Municipality’s financial assets and ensure the formulation and administration of the annual operating and capital budgets in conjunction with the CAO and Council.
The successful applicant will also be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
Leadership/Human Resources Management:
- Managing the Treasury department and carrying out the statutory role of Treasurer under the relevant legislation.
- Exercising control over the Municipality’s financial controls as it pertains to asset management.
- Providing appropriate management of the Treasury department and ensuring there is proper employee development opportunities and resources in place.
- Ensuring the appropriate monitoring and evaluation of employee performance including the timely resolution of issues.
- Participating on the senior leadership team to assist the CAO in implementing policies, procedures, and the decisions of Council.
- Spearheading the management of the investment portfolio, and strategically working with the Municipality’s financial institutions to maximize the returns on the approved investments.
- Developing, implementing, and managing asset, fleet, and overall life-cycle management plans.
- Developing, updating, and maintaining financial policies and procedures.
- The overall integrity of the corporate financial reporting system.
- In conjunction with the CAO, present the annual operating and capital budgets to Council for approval.
- Presenting to the CAO and Council, at least annually, a statement of the assets, liabilities, revenues, and expenditures of the Municipality.
- Ensuring that financial position reports are provided to the CAO and Council on a regular basis.
- Safeguarding the Municipality’s financial assets including the maintenance of all accounts.
- Acting diligently in ensuring the prompt collection of all money owed to the Municipality.
- Maintaining proper and acceptable accounting records to provide external control of all revenues and expenditures.
- The long-term debt management of the Municipality.
- Ensuring that systems are in place to allow for timely and accurate reporting of the Municipality’s financial status by all departments.
- All payroll records and related benefit programs.
- Ensuring that a financial report of the Municipality for each fiscal year is published, in accordance with relevant legislation.
- Managing the Municipality’s insurance portfolio.
- Making sure that all borrowing of money has been authorized.
- Ensuring the maintenance of the assessment role as a base for tax collection.
Public Relations/Customer Service:
- Delivering superior customer service in a positive and informative way to both internal and external stakeholders and ensure it is a key priority.
- Coordinating prompt and proper handling of all ratepayer requests, enquiries, and complaints as it pertains to the Treasury department.
- Providing treasury advice and support to the senior leadership team, and managers of all departments within the Municipality.
- Coordinating all work related to the year end functions, up to and including the presentation of the annual statements to the external auditors.
- Preparing for, and participating in, collective bargaining unit negotiations.
- Maintaining professional affiliations and demonstrating a comprehensive current knowledge of applicable legislation, new trends and literature.
- Performing other related duties as required.
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES OVERVIEW
The Treasurer will demonstrate the following to be successful:
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to oversee the work of professional and technical staff, as well as any contractors.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking capability, coupled with the long-term vision and dedication required to be proactive.
- Ability to provide guidance, support, and mentoring of staff for succession planning purposes.
- Experience supervising, coordinating and conducting performance evaluations in a respectful, supportive, and productive manner.
- The capacity to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team. Supports a team approach and leads by example.
- Aptitude to not only understand the detailed finances, but also be able to articulate a story behind the numbers in a way that diverse audiences can understand.
- tell a story with the Ability to multitask, prioritize work, and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior organizational, communication (written and verbal), and report-writing skills.
- Capacity to negotiate and mediate with union reps and work towards a win-win scenario.
- A proven capability to deal with the public in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with presence and energy, coupled with the ability to foster strong relationships with staff members, elected officials, the community, and key stakeholders.
- The willingness to stay current on emerging trends within the financial profession from a networking and educational perspective.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE OVERVIEW
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A post-secondary degree in Finance, Business, Accounting, or in a closely related financial field.
- A professional accounting designation would be considered an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership experience in a senior financial leadership role, along with experience in a municipal setting would be considered a strength.
A competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and OMERS pension plan is available. Specifics will be discussed in a personal interview.
FOR FURTHER INFORMAITON PLEASE CONTACT:
DCG Executive Search Services Ltd.
Phone: (780) 758-9796