Employer: Town of Westlock
Location: Westlock, AB
Industry: Municipal Government
Located approximately an hour NW of Edmonton, at the crossroads of Highway 18 and Highway 44, the Town of Westlock is a community experiencing steady growth, with a population of over 5,100 residents. We are an agricultural community with a strong commercial base and a variety of amenities. Aside from being the agricultural hub, the local economy has a variety of business services, retail, government administration and manufacturing. Our friendly business and family-oriented community offers plenty of services and activities for individuals and families of all ages. With top-notch healthcare, education, and recreational facilities, Westlock is a place to call home. Please visit our website at www.westlock.ca for additional information.
Reports to: Chief Administrative Officer
Direct Reports: Development Officer
Economic Development Officer
GIS Asset Management Coordinator
Total Staff: 4 FTE’s
Budget: Department operating budget is approximately $800K
RESPONSIBILITES & FUNCTIONS OVERVIEW
Reporting directly to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Development Services is responsible for all aspects of urban and development planning operations, economic development, land administration, as well as ensuring that the Town’s Land Use and Building Bylaws are enforced. The Director may be required on an on-going basis to attend applicable training, workshops, seminars and courses at the discretion of the CAO in order to facilitate job knowledge and performance, as well as maintain professional development credentials.
In addition, the Director will:
- Administer the Town of Westlock’s Land Use Bylaw.
- Oversee the processing of applications for discretionary use development permits and subdivisions pursuant to current bylaw, ensuring compliance with the Land Use Bylaw and associated development regulations.
- Prepare reports, advise and attend meetings of the Municipal Planning Commission.
- Check zoning and ownership of land to be developed.
- Assist applicants with the completion of required applications, including preparation of all information as required.
- Resolve all issues where land use bylaw has not been adhered to in accordance to such bylaw and/or provincial regulations.
- Prepare technical reports pertaining to rezoning, development permits, subdivision proposals and related planning matters, taking into account Town policy as expressed in the Town’s Municipal Development Plan, other agencies’/departmental concerns, impact on the community and municipal and provincial regulations.
- Attend Subdivision Development Appeal Board meetings as required, and make submissions to the Board.
- Negotiate Development Agreements where required.
- Issue stop work orders pursuant to the Land Use Bylaw.
- Supervise, direct and train the development staff.
- Maintain, monitor and control applicable budget funds.
- Administer Town’s Quality Management Plan and the Safety Codes Act.
- Monitor accredited agencies contracted by the Town.
- Observe and inspect developments at various stages to ensure adherence to current bylaws and regulations.
- Work with the Director of Operations in overseeing all Town initiated construction projects and building contracts related to such projects.
- Administer all lands within the municipal boundaries.
- Maintain appropriate up to date drawings for all areas, blocks and lots under jurisdiction of the municipality.
- Maintain a data base on all property within the municipality indicating information as required by the CAO.
- Assist the CAO with the negotiations of the sale, acquisition and/or lease of Town, crown and/or private lands when applicable.
- Administer the Town’s GIS and Asset Management Program.
- Supervise and provide direction to the GIS Asset Management Coordinator.
- Ensure the ongoing development and maintenance of the asset management program.
- Ensure on-going maintenance of the Town’s GIS system.
- In conjunction with the Economic Development Officer, participate and take a lead role in any economic development initiatives of the Town.
- Conduct special planning studies, research projects and investigations as requested.
- Supervise and provide direction to the Community Peace Officer.
- Represent the Town of Westlock on all day-to-day activities relating to community development and planning matters. Liaise and correspond with agencies, governments, developers and other interested parties.
- Attend meetings and participate on relevant committees on behalf of the Town.
- Represent the Town at seminars, conferences or meetings.
- Keep the CAO informed of all related matters
- Regularly update on day-to-day administrative and operational issues.
- Prepare a written report on a monthly basis, or as required by the CAO.
- Provide technical research to the CAO on matters relating to community development and planning.
- Attend meetings of Council as required.
- Develop strategy for capital planning and participate in the implementation of capital projects.
- Prepare the Municipal Development Plan and Land Use Bylaw amendments and update as required.
- Carry out administrative duties, including:
- Maintaining a library of reference material such as reports, studies, economic development plans and engineering reports on infrastructure requirements, etc.
- Maintain accurate files on each issue relating to community development and/or planning.
- Assist with the preparation of related funding applications from various bodies on a variety of subjects.
- Prepare briefing notes for the CAO’s approval for submission to the Town Council.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE OVERVIEW
The Director will possess a Land Use Planning Certificate and/or a diploma or degree from a post-secondary institution in urban planning, engineering, construction, architecture technology, or accepted equivalencies. Along with proven senior leadership experience, preferably in a municipal setting, the Director will have knowledge of Provincial regulations, municipal bylaws and policies as they relate to planning and development activity. Additional experience will include:
- The ability to interpret architectural drawings.
- Familiarity with Alberta Building Codes.
- Knowledge of the Municipal Government Act (MGA) as it relates to Development and Planning.
- Experience and/or certification with AutoCAD and GIS systems.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to deal with developers, elected officials, and the general public in a professional, courteous, diplomatic and tactful manner.
A competitive annual compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate. This includes an attractive base salary, a comprehensive benefits package, participation in the Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP), a Health Spending Account and a Town discounted rate on a facility pass. Details will be discussed in further discussions. The successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Record Check and a Driver’s abstract.
FOR FURTHER INFORAMTION PLEASE CONTACT
DCG Executive Search Services Ltd.
Phone: (780) 758-9796
E-Mail: [email protected]