Located 20 minutes west of te City of Lacombe in the breathtaking Blindman Valley, the Town of Bentley is a community full of central Alberta charm and pioneer history. Steps away from both the Sunset Hills and Gull Lake, Bentley is truly a summer paradise.
With a steady population of nearly 1,100 residents, Bentley offers ECS (3-4 years old), kindergarten and grades 1-12, a long-term care facility, a medical clinic, chiropractor, a municipal library, and many other businesses and services catering to the community.
Please visit our website for additional information on the community at www.townofbentley.ca
Reports to: Mayor & four Town Councillors
Direct Reports: Administrative Assistant
Public Works Foreman
Community Services Manager
Total Staff: 7 FTE’s
Budget: Overall combined Operating and Capital budget is approximately $4.5M
RESPONSIBILITIES & FUNCTIONS OVERVIEW
The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is responsible for the overall day-to-day administrative leadership and management of the municipality, while acting as the key advisor and strategist for Council. The CAO ensures municipal services are provided to residents in an effective and efficient manner.
In addition, the CAO will:
- Work Closely with Council
- Support the Mayor and Council in determining policy by providing objective advice, clearly articulated alternatives, current and relevant background research, ongoing counsel, and the presentation of information from staff recommendations, community groups, and citizens.
- Act as the key advisor and strategist for Council, reporting on corporate priorities and cultivating a collaborative approach to strategic planning.
- Ensure that Council receives such information and necessary reports to be able to make effective policy decisions. Guarantee effective oversight of all information being presented to Council in accordance with the standards and policies of the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and other related legislation.
- Provide Overall Leadership & Management
- Ensure the primary functionality of the municipality is carried out in such areas as corporate planning, community and public works, financial planning, business planning, human resources, policy development and bylaw management.
- Provide executive leadership, strategic direction, coaching, mentoring, support, and advice to staff.
- Oversee Financial Administration
- Ensure appropriate financial and administrative systems are in place that maximize the effectiveness of resource utilization within the objectives, policies, and budgets established by Council.
- Monitor and control municipal spending within the budgets established by Council.
- Deliver Open and Transparent Communication & Public Relations
- Ensure that Town staff are properly trained and committed to providing the highest level of customer service to both internal and external stakeholders, including the general public.
- Promote effective and transparent communication among Council, employees and ratepayers.
- Attend all meetings of Council, as well as community events as required, which may include evenings and/or weekends.
- Direct Human Resource Management Best Practices
- Provide leadership and support to the employees of the Municipality in order to capitalize on the full potential of these critical resources. In doing so, stimulate, motivate, guide, and direct all individuals to contribute fully to the realization of the Town’s strategic and operational objectives.
- Ensure that Strategic Planning Remains a Priority
- Support the Mayor and Council in the formulation and continuous updating of a Strategic Plan for the Town.
- Create a dynamic and forward-thinking environment that results in the continual search for new and more effective approaches to fulfilling the Town’s mandate.
- Promote Economic Development Initiatives and the Overall Community
- In conjunction with Council and the Central Alberta Economic Partnership (CAEP), promote and oversee all planning and development issues of the municipality. This includes inspiring and endorsing economic development within the community.
- Encourage an “open for business” mindset and always strive for new and innovative ways of doing things.
- Perform Other Duties as Required
- Keep apprised of governmental and community affairs and advise Council and staff of significant trends and upcoming issues.
- Ensure that workplace health and safety remain a point of focus and is updated on a regular basis to ensure that it remains a top priority for the Town.
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES OVERVIEW
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following competencies and behaviours in order to successfully meet the requirements of the position:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE OVERVIEW
The successful candidate will possess the following, or an acceptable combination focused on administrative leadership: